Complete in just 4 weeks. Program is only $650!
The state of Arizona requires caregivers to have earned a Caregiver Certification from the Arizona Board of Nursing Care Institution Administrators and Assisted Living Facility Managers (NCIA/ALFM). Caregiver training certificates from Arizona do not expire.
What about the test? The ALFM competency test covers 62 multiple-choice questions during a 90 minute testing period. Caregiver certification candidates are required to score at least 75% in order to pass the exam. The cost of the ALFM caregiver certification exam is $65.00 (2014). Electronic testing is available at several testing sites in Arizona. The exam includes 62 multiple-choice questions on the following subject areas:
- Resident Rights – Legal & Ethical (4)
- Communication & Interpersonal Skills (3)
- Job Management (3)
- Service Plans (3)
- Infection Control (4)
- Nutrition & Food Preparation (4)
- Medication Management (11)
- Fire – Safety – Emergency Procedures (4)
- Environment & Maintenance (4)
- Basic Skills (8)
- Mental Health & Social Services (5)
- Impaired Resident Care (5)
- Restorative Services (4)
Need more study guidance? A list of caregiver certification exam vocabulary words is available on page 7 of the ALFM Caregiver Candidate Handbook: http://www.hdmaster.com/testing/othertesting/AZ_alc/acformpages/acforms/ACCandidateHandbook2014.pdf
What happens after the test? Caregiver certification exam results are available 3-5 days after test completion. Scores will be sent to the Arizona NCIA/AFLM Board of Examiners. Scores will also be sent to the candidate’s training center. A hard copy of official results may be sent to the candidate by mail the same day the test is scored. Candidates are eligible for two exam attempts. If a candidate fails both attempts, the student is required to successfully complete an approved ALFM Caregiver training program again before receiving eligibility to retest.
How do I register as a caregiver? A passing score on the caregiver certification exam will enter the professional’s name on the ALFM Caregiver and Manager Registry for prospective employers. Certified caregivers listed on the registry will include the following information in their profiles:
- Training name: ALF Caregiver Training or ALF Manager Training
- Eligible to test: Date that candidate completed the course requirements
- Exam passed: Date that candidate passed caregiver exam and is the completion of course date
- Training program name: Name of certified caregiver training program where the student completed their education
- Certificate number: Number available on professional’s caregiver training completion certificate
This registry can be found here: https://az.tmuniverse.com/ under ‘Public Search.’
Upon completion of the caregiver certification exam, the candidate’s training program is required to print a Certificate of Completion for their students as proof for employment.
Not currently enrolling students for this program, pending major revisions to the program.